Thursday, May 10, 2007

Juan Felipe Herrera - The Notebooks of a Chile Verde Smuggler

Juan Felipe Herrera The Notebooks of a Chile Verde Smuggler
Page: 17

“All my illusions of being a poet shrank, the wings of the eagle-writer that sees all twittered into the shadow of sparrow, a wavy blot of cold ink on yellow legal pad.”

This is interesting because a few words shattered him so completely. Most likely the person who did it was not even aware of the power behind the statement, but for as a poet words easily take on a lot of meaning.

Juan Felipe Herrera The Notebooks of a Chile Verde Smuggler
Page: 24

“If New York pizza happens, go with it. / Keep breathing, especially in times of stillness. / A donut has meaning. / Destroy meaning as often as you can.”

I really enjoyed this poem as a whole. I picked these lines to quote because I feel like many people would not follow the logic of them, but to me it makes perfect sense. The way his mind moves from one thing to the other reminds me of myself in many ways.

No comments: